Re: Sneak Peak at Yale Torosaurus Sculpture

On 9/27/05, Cliff Green <dinonaut@emerytelcom.net> wrote:
>    Ah, cheeks. I don't know if ceratopsians had cheeks either, but I do
> know that armored dinosaurs did based on a skull at the ROM. I would have to
> get the information from Jim Kirkland, but I have actually seen the skull
> cast of a campanian ankylosaur with dermal armor plate directly over it's
> jaw, and the otherside of it's jaw missing the armor plate. In other words
> it had to have some kind of cheek, to support the dermal armor.

Matt Vickaryous just gave a talk this past weekend and expressed the
same opinion.  There's another nodosaurid skull with a cheek plate at
the AMNH (5381).  Matt feels it would've served to keep food in the
mouth so the teeth could do their processing.

Why does Cliff always sign his name like this Jordan. ;)

--
Jordan Mallon

BScH, Carleton University
Vertebrate Palaeontology & Palaeoecology

http://dino.lm.com/artists/display.php?name=Mallon
MSN Messenger: j_mallon@hotmail.com