Re: Everything you know about the Iren Dabasu age is (right)

--- David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote

> How many known segnosaur specimens are there from
> all three formations
> together? 5?

 They are known from more localities than that.

>Certainly less than 10, no?

More.

> >  Not necessarily. Recall J. Wagner's remark that
> > palynomorphs have a nasty habit of showing up at
> > different times in different places. I suspect
> that is
> > true with regard to the Tsagayan and Hell Creek,
> and
> > the apparent synchrony is illusory.
>
> Palynomorphs still have big advantages: they occur
> in exorbitant numbers,

 Not in Mongolia; they are practically nonexistent
there.

> > I note btw that
> > Mesolanistes, indicative of a Maastrichtian age,
> is
> > not AFAIK, known from the Tsagayan.
>
> It's indicative of a Maastrichtian age _and a
> certain environment_.

  It occurs in fluvial environments from North America
to Omnogov to China. The Tsagayan and Iren Dabasu were
fluvial environments but AFAIK lacked Mesolanistes,
which casts doubt on the supposed Nemegtian or
Maastrichtian age of these units.

http://mail.yahoo.com