Re: Giant Squid

"Focus" is an interesting phenomenon in scientific research.  It's
direction is random, and it is driven by current interests and fads (both
of which are probably also random in their genesis).  We know more about
the osteology of _T. rex_ than we do of some living birds.  The details
of the embryonic development of the manus of the domestic chicken were
unknown until a few years ago (thanks go to Martin and later Norell for
filling this gap in our knowledge).  I remember reading a quote from a
JPL imaging team member who claimed that we know more about the surface
morphology of Mars (down to 10 meters) than we do of the Earth's land
surface.

One of these decades, someone is going to consider doing PET scans on the
brains of numerous species of extant birds and small crocs and gators,
and I'll bet some really interesting results will emerge on the shared
cognitive functions of archosaur brains.  Currently, there is no "focus"
on this topic.  CATting an empty _T. rex_ brain cavity is currently "in".
 PETting a living _Bonasa_ and caiman brain to look for similarities and
differences in function is currently "well, maybe some day".

Gold can be found in unexpected places.

<pb>
--

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:56:40 -0400 "W. F. Zimmerman, wfzimmerman.com"
<wfz@wfzimmerman.com> writes:
>  The announcement of the first in-situ observations of giant squid in
> the
> wild

http://www.wfzimmerman.com/2005/09/national-geographic-news-photo-gallery
.ht