Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:39:16 +1000
From: Colin McHenry <cmchenry@westserv.net.au>
Subject: Re: Not dinosaurs, but damn cool!
To: "T. Michael Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com>

There's a summary of giant squid palaeontology at

http://www.tonmo.com/science/fossils/cretaceousGS.php

From what I can gather from a quick read, _Architeuthis_ seems to be not at all related to the other forms of large squid known from Cretaceous fossils. The diagram showing phylogeny and stratigraphy suggests that there is a whack of ghost lineage with this animal (but what else would we expect from this thing?).

The site also has some info on _Architeuthis_ neontology.

Cheers
Colin

T. Michael Keesey wrote:

On 9/28/05, Aidan Karley <aidan_karley@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

In article <NDBBIAJHGJBHMGNKDFAHAEMILCAA.tholtz@geol.umd.edu>, Jr.
Thomas R. Holtz wrote:

Giant squid photographed while alive in the wild!

Ichthyosaur-eye view.

Brings up a good question: how far back do _Architeuthis_ and related genera go?

--
Mike Keesey
The Dinosauricon: http://dino.lm.com

*****************
Colin McHenry
School of Environmental and Life Sciences (Geology)
University of Newcastle
Callaghan NSW 2308
Australia
Tel: +61 2 4921 5404