Re: "Oxygen Helped Mammals Grow, Study Finds"

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:49:54 +0200 David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> writes:
> > 10%??  Oh come on....
> > Has anyone even bothered to TEST this hypothesis?  Construct an
> > atmospheric testing chamber with 10% O2 and record the activity
> level of
> > a gecko, a baby alligator, and a canary (one at a time).  Can they
> thrive
> > and live long enough to reproduce?

> The canary would
> certainly
> survive, though it might not be able to fly anymore...

Some of the *larger* bird species nest at high elevation, so reduced
oxygen may not be a major problem for them (or their eggs).

But would platypus eggs remain viable in 10% oxygen at 1 atm?

And how would possum's handle 10% oxygen?  Their current habitat is
lowlands, so it might be interesting to see how they react in a test
chamber with lowered O2 at 1 atm. (PETA approved, of course!  ;-)

It might also be interesting to measure the pore diameters on various
Mesozoic bird eggs and see if they are proportionally larger or smaller
(or more or less numerous) than those on modern bird eggs.  _Dinosaur
Eggs and Babies_ may have something to say on this subject, but I don't
have access to a copy at the moment.

An argument could be put forth that, "Well, every extant species has
since adapted to a richer O2 environment".  But isn't that an example of
"special pleading"?  I'm not sure.

<pb>