Re: "Oxygen Helped Mammals Grow, Study Finds"

From: Phil Bigelow <bigelowp@juno.com>
To: Subject: Re: "Oxygen Helped Mammals Grow, Study Finds"
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:55:52 +0000 (pd)

Here's another interesting corrolary.  I wonder if the authors considered
it as they were preparing their manuscript:

If the 10% O2 figure is correct (for SEA LEVEL), then the anoxic altitude
would have been vastly lower than it is today.  Meaning that even
moderate elevation mountains in the early Jurassic may have been totally
devoid of all animal life.

reading that, my first thought was "is *that* why sauropods were built to keep their heads low?"

though it'll certainly reduce any need to speculate about what mountain-dwelling vertabrates were like, back then.
*shrugs*