Re: "Oxygen Helped Mammals Grow, Study Finds"

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 04:34:12 +0000 Rodlox R <rodlox@hotmail.com> writes:

> >From: Phil Bigelow <bigelowp@juno.com>
> >To: Subject: Re: "Oxygen Helped Mammals Grow, Study Finds"
> >Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:55:52 +0000 (pd)
>

> >Here's another interesting corollary.  I wonder if the authors
> considered
> >it as they were preparing their manuscript:
> >
> >If the 10% O2 figure is correct (for SEA LEVEL), then the anoxic
> altitude
> >would have been vastly lower than it is today.  Meaning that even
> >moderate elevation mountains in the early Jurassic may have been
> totally
> >devoid of all animal life.

> though it'll certainly reduce any need to speculate about what
> mountain-dwelling vertabrates were like, back then.
> *shrugs*

It certainly raises that question, doesn't it?  What a truly bizarre
environment that would have been!!  We have nothing comparable to it
today!  An early Jurassic landform similar to today's Tibetan Plateau
might have been nearly anoxic to any animal larger than a worm!

An O2 vs. elevation graph for the early Jurassic should be easy to
construct quickly (for someone who knows what they are doing, which
excludes me).  Frankly, I'm surprised that Falkowski et. al didn't
include such a graph in their paper.  Their conclusions practically beg
the question.

<pb>