Re: "Oxygen Helped Mammals Grow, Study Finds"

--- Allan Edels <edels@msn.com> wrote:

> >From Yahoo (around 2:00 PM EDT):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050929/ap_on_sc/oxygen_mammals

Finding about changing oxygen level is interesting,
but attaching a story about mammal size is fro me, at
best, stringy.

Oxygen level in the Mesozoic was enough for big
dinosaurs. And there are big mammals living in low
oxygen conditions of high altitude, like wild yaks,
bears and snow leopards in Tibet. It is generally
believed that they are limited by harsh climate and
lack of food, not oxygen.

Yes, most lowland mammals suffer from lack on oxygen,
and most mammals live in lowlands, but I know of no
proof that they cannot evolve into more oxygen
efficent metabolism.

Jerzy Dyczkowski

http://mail.yahoo.com