Re: Feathered Ornitholestes?

On 9/30/05, Fabio Marco Dalla Vecchia <fabdalla@tin.it> wrote:
> Dear Listmembers,
>
> I do not work on theropods, but I have to tell an Italian artist how to
> reconstruct Ornitholestes.
> My question now is: should this Late Jurassic genus be recontructed with a
> covering of integumentary filaments like Sinosauropteryx, or the "old
> fashion" scaly skin is more likely?
>
> Thanks to all who will answer this question.

Since _Ornitholestes_ seems to occupy a phylogenetic position close to
that of compsognathids, including _Sinosauropteryx prima_, feathery
integument seems most likely. _S. prima_ is the best model to use for
now. (And perhaps _Dilong paradoxus_ is the second-best model.)

So far, remiges and rectrices seem to be limited to _Maniraptora_
sensu Sereno, though.
--
Mike Keesey
The Dinosauricon: http://dino.lm.com