Re: "Oxygen Helped Mammals Grow, Study Finds"

If you give an infinite amount of slime molds, an infinite amount of time/computers, would they then be able to randomly type out cognitive dinosaur science? Sounds plausible to me as a one eyed amoeba on steroids.!

Humans high in the Andes seem to do fine up to 15K feet and have adapted quite well to the lower oxygen conditions with smaller body masses, enlarged lungs and enriched hemoglobin/plasma ratios in their bodies. They also seem to reproduce well there (at least in quantity, quality is too subjective for this discussion). There is no reason that Mesozoic animals couldn't adapt over the generations to changes either way in ppO2.

Zonation of fauna related to altitude certainly occurs in modern ecosystems. Some of this is temperature related, but ppO2 certainly plays an effect. Some large bodied forms do well at high altitude though the cold has altered their shape a tad from their low altitude cousins. Birds of course get around enough that they could breed at low altitude and hunt up high in the ether. No reason dinos didn't have the same pressures (excuse the pun) to evolve different body plans based on adaptation to ppO2/altitude changes. Speciation occurs because it works to facilitate reproduction in a "secular" fashion.

Environmental feedback loops maintain habitable levels of atmospheric gasses obviously as life still exists on the planet even after all these years. Give slime molds a chance and they will proliferate and eventually learn to type.

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming