Re: Sauropod Biology

> Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:57:10 -0600
> From: Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
>
>> My point was simply that the extremely derived, high shouldered
>> forms seemed to have gone into decline after the Jurassic.
>
> Yes, that seems to be true.  In that vein, Cifelli et al. (2000)
> gave _Sauroposeidon_ the species name _proteles_, meaning "perfected
> before the end".

That's Wedel et al. 2000.  (Cifelli was second author):

        Wedel, M. J., R. L. Cifelli and R. K. Sanders.  2000.
        _Sauroposeidon proteles_, a new sauropod from the Early
        Cretaceous of Oklahoma.  Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology
        20(1):109-114.

A PDF is freely available from
        http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/pdf/2000/00-27.pdf

)_v__/\  "We all know that Art is not truth.  Art is a lie that makes us
         realize the truth" -- Pablo Picasso.