Re: Pterorhynchus dewlap

David Peters (davidrpeters@earthlink.net) wrote:

<Something else seems to be more important --  at least to this one.>

  Pelicans seem to manage just fine, and their gular pouch is collapsible.
Pelicans are, afterall, one of the very largest flying birds, after bustards
and giant condors and giant swans.

  However, it would be interesting if there was any primary data to support
this conclusion, but there doesn't seem to be any. The holotype specimen of
*Pterorhynchus wellnhoferi* has a huge slab of matrix broken off the
counterpart and adhering to the mainpart in JUST precisely this area. If anyone
would justify it with "But you can't tell me it's _not_ there!" I would laugh.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden