RE: Oviraptor=Parrot?

From: Sim Koning <simkoning@msn.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Oviraptor=Parrot?
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:09:26 -0500

This may be something that's been discussed to death, but I've searched the mailing list and found nothing that really answers my questions. I just watched the Discovery channel documentary 'Dinosaur Planet' and noticed that once again, the Oviraptor is portrayed as a vicious predator competing with Velociraptor. I don't really understand this view, because to me, Oviraptors have always appeared highly convergent with parrots. Since we don't exactly see parrots competing with eagles for food, why is it they are viewed as predators? To illustrate my point, compare a parrot skull with an Oviraptor skull.

http://dino.lm.com/images/display.php?id=1072

looks awfully air-filled to me...wouldn't that work against being a parrot-oid ?

just a thought.