Re: Sauropod Energetics (Peristaltic pump)

I'm aware of the giant Hadrosaurs, but as far as I know, they haven't discovered any 80-100 ton hadrosaurs just yet, though it would be cool if they did. imagine a T-rex trying to eat that =). My point here is that no other herbivore in the history of this planet has come close to the size of the largest sauropod. I'm speculating that they had some advantage over other herbivores that allowed them to grow to such massive proportions.

From: Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Sauropod Energetics (Peristaltic pump)
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:40:12 -0600

Sim Koning wrote:

Is there any gigantic, short necked, big headed, low browsing sauropods?

Not that I know of. Perhaps that's why God invented hadrosaurs. :-)

The biggest hadrosaurs (like _Shantungosaurus_) got up to about 15m long, which is small potatoes for a sauropod. But unlike hadrosaurs, most of the length of a typical sauropod was taken up by the enormously long neck and tail. Hadrosaurs were "short necked" and "big headed", and 15m is impressive - even "gigantic" - for an ornithischian.

Cheers

Tim