Re: Oviraptorids as Parrots?

Hanneke Meijer (hanneke.meijer@gmail.com) wrote:

<Furthermore, it is hypothesized (Zweers et al) that the most primitive form of
feeding in birds was a so-called 'catch-and-throw' method, in which a food item
is grabbed and thrown into the air to be subsequently swallowed.  Maybe a
similar method existed in advanced theropods such as oviraptors?>

  This method of feeding tends to appear, if I've read my references right, for
animals with limited ability at prehension or ability to manipulate food
orally, and so to properly oriented, they grab it in the air. Or to get it
further back into the throat. It is especially important for birds with
extremely long beaks, since they, also, lack the ability to decently manipulate
food. I think we see this more or less in herons and the like.

  The papers, with Zweers and Gussekloo and van der Meij, tend to focus on
statis forces and simple feeding techniques. I have a few papers referring to
animals that tend to crush food, as well, such as parrots and teiid lizards,
which show there are osteological and muscular (and most of it is preservable
osteologically as corellates) indicators of durophagy.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden