Re: Pterorhynchus dewlap

It's only a single annecdotal peice of data, but the one time I saw a lionfish in the wild it was drifting around in the current and looked like nothing so much as a broken-off tuft of coralline aglae (such as might make a lovely shelter for a small fish.....)

I have no idea if this is a typical behaviour for them, or if my interpretation in any way resembles what was going on.

Tim Williams wrote:

Jaime Headden wrote:

I think this is counterintuitive, however, as such animals as most pterosaurs
don't seem the kind to gently glide around coal reefs in tropical waters,

Ah!  You obviously haven't read Klaus Ebel's work...

Ebel, K. (1996). On the origin of flight in _Archaeopteryx_ and in pterosaurs. N. Jb. Geol. Paläont. Abh. 202: 269-285.

He argues that many pterosaurs spent their entire lives underwater.

Then again, Ebel also argues that all saurischian dinosaurs lived in water - sauropods, tyrannosaurs, dromaeosaurs, the entire shebang. http://www.ebel-k.de/dinosaurs1/dinosaurs2/dinosaurs2.html

Ebel's work aside (it's been discussed before on the list, as far as I recall), I wonder if any pterosaurs could submerge (partially or completely) for brief periods?

Cheers
Colin