Aquatic pterosaurs

Ebel's work aside (it's been discussed before on the list, as far as I recall), I wonder if any pterosaurs could submerge (partially or completely) for brief periods?

Interesting. I'm sure birds don't have a patent out on water repellent coverings of wings. Not knowing more about the nature of the integument of pterosaur wings (could velvet or waxy coating be ruled out?), I would guess that any lineage of flying animals that have to deal with the aquatic environment over such a long period of geological time could have perfected this, as birds have, which I suspect is a major reason they can dive and then escape the water to launch back into the air. All arm waving of course.

The alternative is evolving the ability to stay the heck out of the water while you're catching aquatic prey etc., which is what I normally imagine pterosaurs were doing

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Glen
PhD candidate,
School of Biomedical Science
Anatomy and Developmental Biology Dept.,
University of Queensland
Q 4072, AUSTRALIA
Room: 418
Phone: (07) 3365 2720
Mob: 0408 986 301
Email: c.glen@.uq.edu.au
\
\
*
<`\
\_ \ / ,\
"" ""
~QQ>
~QQ>
Returning home after a hard day of
dodging dinosaur feet and droppings,
only to find their burrow trampled,
one Late Mesozoic mammal says to an other :
"Hey, a falling star, make a wish."