Turtles and dinosaur predators (Re: Oviraptorids as Parrots?)

Carpenter, K., and D. Lindsey. 1980. The dentiary of Brachychampsa
montana Gilmore (Alligatorinae; Crocodylidae), a late Cretaceous
turtle-eating alligator. Journal of Paleontology, vol. 54(6):1213-1217.

BTW:  The Hell Creek Formation contains the remains of the moderately
large (1+ meter) land tortoise _Basilemys sinuosa_ Riggs 1906.  This slow
critter should have been easy pickin's for juvie and young adult
Tyrannosaurs, but since it has a fair preservational bias in the
formation, it must have been relatively common on the Hell Creek
landscape.

To a tyrannosaur, chasing and eating a land tortoise is like a human
running-down and eating a pie that is sitting on a picnic table.  How did
these (relatively immobile) land creatures avoid predators with a bite
force of over a ton per square inch?

<pb>