Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Defend Their Young?

?

> There are a few things in this scenario I heartily
> disagree with.
> First I'd think panicking into a stampede even if
> the nests were 7
> meters apart would result in a wake of destruction
> being wrought upon,
> at least, one side of the nesting colony.

I would think they might just have to leave as opposed
to terrified stampede. I still think they might carry
off one egg or young in emergencies.

So I'd
> think Maiasaura would
> stand their ground as after all an albertosaur pack
> would contain much
> less individuals than a nesting colony. If male
> Maiasaura were
> available, the ones closest could face off the
> predators.
> Don't be biased by those wildlife shows that only
> depict herbivores
> running from carnivores: herbivores can and do fight
> back.

I agree that many a herbivore will fight back or not
run when they know they hold the upper hand. I would
think they might stand their ground but what I can't
figure out is how they would defend themselves. They
have no weopons or armor and seemingly are not fast.
Anybody have any thoughts on the subject of hadrosaur
defense?

Andrew Simpson

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/d/r/dracontes/dracontes.html