OT - Re: Carcharias [Was Re: Oviraptorids as Parrots?}

Tim Williams wrote:

> I found the exact same thing.  I have heard/read that the sand tiger (or
> grey nurse) was once *assumed* to be a man-eater because of its outwardly
> fearsome appearance.  However, this fearsome appearance might have been the
> reason why they were blamed for attacks committed by other shark species (as
> Colin mentioned); all along, they were probably just innocent bystanders.
> Sand tigers are typically slow smimmers that often hover motionless in
> shallow, coastal water (such as near where Colin swims).  This makes them
> very easy to kill.  At one time they were killed by trophy-hunters, and I
> believe _Carcharias taurus_ is the first shark species to be officially
> protected.  We humans are far more dangerous to sand tigers than they are to
> us.

Indeed - I suspect this was the case most of the time. Ironically
though, actual attacks on humans by grey nurses probably only took place
in any significant number _after_ they were misidentified as man-eaters.
Having a spear shot into you can turn even the most docile shark into
something dangerous (and being tethered to your human attacker makes
turning on then even easier).

However, I unless someone has found a shark fossil with an oviraptorid
(or a parrot) in its gut, I suspect we're going severly off topic... :)

Dann Pigdon