RE: Antarctica Dinosaurs

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> sakata-c@asahi.com
>
> Dear Lists,
>
> I would appreciate very much if someone would let me know what is the
> Dinosaurs first discovered from Antarctica?
> When was it discovered?
>
> Chisako SAKATA

Hi, Chisa!

The first discovered Antarctic dinosaur fossil (other than penguins!) was a
Late Cretaceous ankylosaur, found in 1986:

Gasparini, Z., E. Olivero, R. Scasso & C. Rinaldi. 1987. Un ankylosaurio
(Reptilia, Ornithischia) campaniano en el contiente
antarctico. Anais do X Congresso Brasileiro de Paleontologia 1: 131-141.

At present, though, Cryolophosaurus is the only named species of non-avian
dinosaur from that continent.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117