Guanlong wucaii and Griffin

The location of the discovery of Guanlong wucalii and its unique crest may help explain a puzzling feature of the ancient image of the "gold-guarding Griffin."
I have suggested that the tale of the Griffin may have arisen when ancient Scythian nomadic gold-miners came across the fossils of dinosaurs with beaks such as Protoceratops and Psittacosaurs, the Jungar pterosaur, various species' nests and eggs, and other fossils in the Jungar, Turpan, Taklamakan, and Gobi deserts.
These nomads controlled the ancient caravan routes in and out of the Jungar Basin and went prospecting for gold for years at a time in the foothills of the Altai and Tien Shan mountains of northwest China and Mongolia.

They described Griffins as a kind of predatory "bird with four legs" that never flew, was the size of a wolf, and laid eggs in nests on the ground and cared for its young.

The Griffin was often depicted in artwork with a strange formation on its forehead. The beaked dinos have no horns, but perhaps the Griffin creature was a composite of several types of Jurassic-Cretaceous fossils observed in the deserts. I wonder if Guanlong wucaii's crest could have contributed the odd structure on the Griffin's head?