bat origins - the smoking gun

While it is true, there are no obvious pre-bats in the fossil record or
among living mammals, in just a few days of research I was able to find
a non-bat taxon with a set of characters leading to -- and one character
(at least) otherwise restricted to -- bats. Basically if bats are the
Omega, this taxon is the Alpha with nothing that I know in between. A
good molecular and morphological taxon, by the way.

While I work up a web page to offer an hypothesis, I just thought I'd
toss this hand grenade into the crowd to see it anyone else wants to
play with it, knowing that there is something out there.

David Peters
St. Louis