"Empirical data"

I was working in my geo lab class and supposedly the assignment reads:

"By empirical study it has been found that most dinosaur hind feet are
one quarter of the leg length", I'm not sure what's used to determine
the length of the hind feet according to whoever wrote this, but I was
given the impression that they were only referring to the length of
the track. Can someone give some comment on this? It just doesn't seem
right, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was wrong, given it figured a
skeleton of Heterodontosaurus as "Erikosaurus" and attributed it to
Paul, 1987.

Nick Gardner