Repatriation Revisited

Dear List,

  I am curious about the current accessioning of the specimens returned to
China after Stephan Czerkas had produced them from their private and illegal
holdings. This concerns the current labelling of his types, as if I recall
correctly, type specimen numbers move to the instituion they are currently held
in (as in the sale transfer of the *Tyrannosaurus rex* type from AMNH to CM to
support AMNH funds).

  Most specifically, I am interested to know whether the specimen number listed
on  Norell et al.'s *Microraptor*, later used as the type of *Cryptovolans
pauli* by Czerkas (2002), BMP 1 1-13 is, in fact, the actual specimen
designation. Czerkas gives the dispensation as LPM 0200, which is printed on
the slab itself. This specimen is certainly the same as that described
preliminarily by Norell et al. (2002):

  Norell, M. A., Ji Q., Gao K.-q., Yuan C.-x., Zhao Y.-b., & Wang L.-x. 2002.
   "Modern" feathers on a non-avian dinosaur. _Nature_ 416:36-37.

  In addition, taxon labels for specimens now in China but formerly at Czerkas'
museum include:

  LPM 0159 (referred to *Cryptovolans pauli*)
  CAGS01-IG-gausa-3 [I gather the specimen was originally DM 609] (holotype of
*Omnivoropteryx sinousaorum*)
  CAGS02-IG-gausa-2 ([DM 608] holotype of *Pterorhynchus wellnhoferi*)
  CAGS02-IG-gausa-1 ([DM 607] holotype of *Scansoriopteryx heilmanni*)

  Any help regarding the now-current specimen numbers would be appreciated.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/