RE: Guanlong wucaii (was RE: Early Version of T. Rex Is Discovered)

I always thought it was same with Parasauroplophus. I thought the idea was that sound was generated by the vocal cords and then resonated through the crest like a brass instrument. I?m pretty sure elephants do the same with their trunks to create very low frequency sounds. Elephant seals don?t raise their proboscis, its inflated and drops down in front of the mouth. The nose acts as a resonating chamber that cane generate very load roars that can heard for miles.

From: Ken.Carpenter@dmns.org
To: simkoning@msn.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: RE: Guanlong wucaii (was RE: Early Version of T. Rex Is Discovered)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:30:00 -0700

It is through their vocal chords. They lift their proboscis, which makes
you think it is through the nose.

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D. Curator of Lower Vertebrate Paleontology/ Chief Preparator Department of Earth Sciences Denver Museum of Nature & Science 2001 Colorado Blvd. Denver, CO 80205

Phone: 303-370-6392
Fax: 303-331-6492
Mountain Project: