Re: Dinosauroid Revisited

Sim,

If this video is accurate, it is remarkable. The short article linked to the video has a number of limitations, including a small number of trials (17) and a lot of ambiguity about the independence of those trials, not to mention others. Taken on its face, however, the article appears to report that more than 50% of the trials resulted in the subject crow retrieving the food item after bending a wire into a hook. I'm intrigued by this idea, but, Bernd Heinrich notwithstanding, I am skeptical about the interpretation of the results of this experiment. The problem solving ability of corvids today is subject to experimental testing (and seems to be a potentially fascinating area of study), but views about what such a capability may have meant with respect to the evolution of dinosaurs in the absence of the KT event is, unfortunately, forever limited to realm of speculation.

PTN