Re: Even more last papers for 2005

Forgot this one:

freely availible at :
http://palaeo-electronica.org/2005_2/neutron/neutron.pdf

 Schwarz, Daniela, Vontobel, Peter, Lehmann, Eberhard H., Meyer, Christian A.,
and Bongartz,
Georg, 2005. Neutron Tomography of
Internal Structures of Vertebrate Remains: A Comparison with X-ray Computed
Tomography.
Palaeontologia Electronica Vol. 8, Issue
2; 30A:11p, 800KB;
http://palaeo-electronica.org/paleo/2005_2/icht/issue2_05.htm

ABSTRACT

Neutron tomography has been applied as a novel, non-invasive technique for 3-D
visualization and
characterization of internal structures of vertebrate remains. Whereas X-ray
computed tomography
maps regions of different densities within an object, neutron tomography is
sensitive to
differences in the concentration of some light materials like hydrogen.
Compared to X-ray computed
tomography (CT), the image quality of neutron tomography (NT) is strongly
influenced by the resin
materials used for the reconstruction and conservation of the objects.
Stabilizing metal
inclusions in bones leads to a strong scattering of X-rays in CT, whereas these
inclusions can be
better penetrated and therefore lead to less disturbing contrasts in NT. The
maximum cross-section
of rocks and fossilized bone material that can be penetrated by X-rays in a
medical CT scanner is
approximately 40-50 cm, whereas neutrons can penetrate rocks or fossilized bone
material with a
cross-sectional thickness up to about 12 cm. The spatial resolution of NT
(0.1-0.27 mm) is better
than in a medical CT scanner (0.35-0.5 mm). In the special case of the studied
sauropod vertebrae,
the density of the fossil bones, the high amount of marly sediment matrix
within openings of the
bones, and the presence of multiple fractures filled with glue decreased the
quality of the
neutron tomographic images. On the other hand, neutron tomographic images
displayed a detailed
account of the distribution of glue within the fossil remains. The combination
of computed
tomographic and neutron tomographic data therefore helped to increase the
information about the
internal structure of sauropod vertebrae. The decision of which technique to
use will in the end
be dictated by the research questions, the preservation and material properties
of the object.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com