Re: In the Mesozoic, no one can hear you scream.

So what does this imply for the idea of squeaky little T.Rex chicks? Maybe not so squeaky?

On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Eric Martichuski wrote:

This brings up an interesting plot-point for all time-travel stories.

You and a friend are hiding in the bushes from a prowling T-Rex. So long as your voices are squeaky enough, you can coordinate your escape plans as much as you like. Hiding without needing to be silent would certainly be a novel experience.

OTOH, given the T Rex's supposed sense of smell, hiding wouldn't be very useful in the first place.

Eric
"There is no other wisdom,
And no other hope for us
But that we grow wise. -- Diane Duane

From: Jeff Hecht <jeff@jeffhecht.com>
To: bigelowp@juno.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: In the Mesozoic, no one can hear you scream.
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:23:12 -0500

The statement on T rex hearing is based on the average human scream of panic is at 3000 hertz, above extrapolated hearing range of T rex. You hollered in a DEEP LOUD VOICE, T rex might just hear you and decide you might be tasty.

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com  http://www.jhecht.net