Re: In the Mesozoic, no one can hear you scream.

Though I'm not inclined to think T-Rex was pitch deaf
it does bring up an interesting thought as far as
Hadrosaurs are concerned. If all those crests were in
fact designed to make big sounds, if the T-Rex was
deaf to certain frequencies then the Hardorsaurs could
have had an early warning system that the big preditor
couldn't even hear.

I've watched enough of those tv dinosaur shows that
always have the dinosaurs squawlking at each other to
be convinced that most dinosaurs didn't make much
noise. At least when hunting and killing. They may
have used warning calls to avoid fights but they would
not have stopped to scream at their intended victim
before they pounced. (This tends to be my biggest
peeve with these shows. That and the fact that they
always bring weather and natural disaster in to the
mix instead of trying to ascertain behavior in normal
circumstance.)

Andrew Simpson

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/dinosaurs/mg18925334.600

> screams of
> >> baritone-voiced
> unnoticed by the
> >> chomping T.

> back in time
> >> then you
> Mr. Microphone(tm)
> >> is also

> that you just blew your
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
> >> jeff@jeffhecht.com  http://www.jhecht.net
> >> Boston Correspondent: New Scientist magazine
> >> Contributing Editor: Laser Focus World
> >> 525 Auburn St., Auburndale, MA 02466 USA
> >> v. 617-965-3834; fax 617-332-4760

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com