Wading Sauropods

Regardless of whether sauropods were meant to wade and swim in deep
water, I'll wager that they did so anyway.

The large sauropod trackway sites in the North American Interior strongly
suggest that sauropods traveled distances in large groups.  Inevitably,
they would have to cross a large deep river.  With a shoulder height of,
what, 7 meters?, Camarosaurus probably could walk across many points on
today's Mississippi River, although its lungs would have been deeply
submerged during the crossing.

If Camarosaurus' lungs did not work well when its torso was submerged,
then it is likely that the animal simply suspended its breathing until it
got to the opposite shore of the river.  Considering that the brain of
sauropods was small, its oxygen requirements was probably equally small,
so a hiatus in breathing would impart no ill effects.  The ability to
suspend breathing for long periods of time may have given these animals a
 migratory advantage.

An added advantage:  Head position while the sauropod is in the water
becomes irrelevant if breathing is temporarily suspended.

My $0.02,

<pb>