azhdarchid-type cervical ponder

Considering the convergence shown between tanystropheid cervicals and
azhdarchid cervicals, if another clade of pterosaur were to develop extra long
cervicals and only the cervicals were preserved, would we be able to
cladistically split them? Or not?  Long cervicals seem to have small to no
neural spines.

With a small spectrum of morphotypes exhibited by single specimens, let alone
various specimens, I think the latter answer might be the better one.
Azhdarchid-type cervicals may, at present, represent a waste-basket category,
with most specimens correctly assigned, but a few perhaps not.

More work.

David Peters
St. Louis