Re: What would Hitchcock have thought...?

Thanks for these ideas. I agree there is no way to find "historical proof" of the myths about avian abductions. People are always asking me if such stories are true. Personally, I think Native American stories of avian abductions originally arose from the storytelling imagination, based on seemingly plausible fears of large raptors and knowledge of their behavior (as noted by Norton and Graydon) and on discoveries of well-preserved fossil remains of extinct raptors and their nests (which often contain parts of mastodon bones carried there from carrion sites, but giving the impression to a casual observer that the bird brought large prey to its nest). If one baby was ever carried off in a rare instance, that would help perpetuate the myth.

Ancestral memories of megafaunas from the Pleistocene is a dubious argument. It's an unprovable hypothesis, but it has cropped up in popular and scientific venues for the past century or so. The only kinds of oral traditions that can be proven to have been inspired by an empirical observation in the prehistoric past are stories about scientifically datable geological or astronomical events (volcanoes, earthquakes, comets, etc).