To: "DML" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: The (long) future of paleontology

Cliff Green wrote:

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Utah, the amount
of unretrieved fossil material is staggering. I can't even begin to estimate
how many decades or centuries it would take to dig up and discribe all of
the quarrys just here in Eastern Utah.

That's assuming of course that digging will still be required in the future. Subsurface remote sensing techniques may well become accurate and precise enough to never have to get your hands dirty (or bloody) ever again.

Of course, such technology won't be perfected to this degree for a while
(despite the opening sequences of Jurassic Park, which seemed to show
some sort of sonic device rather than the 'ground penetrating radar'
mentioned in the dialogue).

Dann Pigdon