RE: The (long) future of paleontology

Not sure what the automobile analogy is about since I would gladly use
technology to help me find and excavate dinosaurs. Unlike Dann, I would
excavate the specimen once found, not simply take pictures of it. Seems
to me one reason for getting down and dirty is because it is cheaper
than overpriced, dust sensitive, and prone to breakdown equipment. Case
in point: A good friend from Lawrence Livermore (yes, the weapons lab)
brought out a highly sensitive radiation detector to try out at an
ankylosaur bonebed we have been excavating (see my web site). Unlike
some sites in the Cedar Mountain Formation, this place had practically
no radioactive bones. Unfortunately, field condition were such that a
$5000 piece of equipment was severely damaged and we never were able to
try the technique. We had hoped to locate an intact skull. In the past,
I experimented with ground penetrating radar, but that technique was a
bust since the density of dinosaur bone is about the same as the
encasing rock. That is certainly not the case for human artifacts in
dirt. Laser technology for the automated preparation of fossils (another
area my friends at Livermore explored using specimens I provided) is
still in the tens of thousands of dollar stage. See JVP Abstract
19(3):35A "Automated high-speed, high-speed, high-resolution specimen
recovery from matrix with femtosecond laser pulse-trains." My record, at
least, shows ownership of a 'new fangled automobile'

As one who has monitored the commercial business for years, I can state
that in fact paleontology is not becoming more commercial, but less. My
close friends at the Black Hills Institute and Western paleo Labs, among
others, have been struggling for the past few years. The price of
dinosaurs has been dropping for lack of buyers. The Japanese market that
for years was driving the market has been pretty much dead for a number
of years as well.

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Chief Preparator
Department of Earth Sciences