Re: The (long) future of paleontology

It's too bad that psychics and mystics are so horrible at predicting
stuff.  We could put them to a productive use looking for buried dino
skeletons.  Watching Sylvia Browne stagger around delirious in a quarry
under a blazing sun would be quite entertaining.

<pb>

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:34:07 +1100 Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
writes:
> Cliff Green wrote:
> >
> >     I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Utah,
> the amount
> > of unretrieved fossil material is staggering. I can't even begin
> to estimate
> > how many decades or centuries it would take to dig up and discribe
> all of
> > the quarrys just here in Eastern Utah.
>
> That's assuming of course that digging will still be required in
> the
> future. Subsurface remote sensing techniques may well become
> accurate
> and precise enough to never have to get your hands dirty (or
> bloody)
> ever again.
>
> Of course, such technology won't be perfected to this degree for a
> while
> (despite the opening sequences of Jurassic Park, which seemed to
> show
> some sort of sonic device rather than the 'ground penetrating
> radar'
> mentioned in the dialogue).
>
> --
>
> Dann Pigdon
> GIS / Archaeologist         http://heretichides.soffiles.com
> Melbourne, Australia        http://www.geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs

"Am I crazy, Jerry?  Am I?  Or, I am SO sane that you just blew your
mind?!" - Kramer