Re: The (long) future of paleontology

Dann Pigdon wrote-

That's assuming of course that digging will still be required in the
future. Subsurface remote sensing techniques may well become accurate
and precise enough to never have to get your hands dirty (or bloody)
ever again.

I agree not excavating will be the future of paleontology. Just think of the benefits of using an extremely large number of self-replicating nanoprobes to catalogue the ground. They could make a precise three-dimensional map of every fossil and compositional change in the rock. We could even link this data to a database of known fossils for automatic identification. None of this would be possible for a few hundred years or so, but we have a long future ahead of us.

Mickey Mortimer