Re: The (long) future of paleontology

At 4:31 PM -0700 1/16/06, frank bliss wrote:
>There is also a lot to be said for the process of actually being "in the hole"
>with the fossils.  No current technology has instinct, hunch, inspiration (or
>perspiration) and intuition.  Past experience is invaluable when "deciding"
>where to dig.  I walked up to a new outcrop once, studied it a bit, climbed up
>to a likely spot and sank my pick on the third swing into an isolated t-rex
>tooth (shattered it into 50 pieces since rebuilt).  There weren't 4 other
>fossils come off of that outcrop.  Call it serendipity but I call it past
>experience combined with hunch which is something that no technology (given
>the size of the world) can accomplish within the next hundred years.

Good point. What I would hope technology could do is analyze a different set of
clues than the human eye and brain pick up. A good example is the ultraviolet
illumination used to highlight the bones in the new Wyoming/Thermopolis
Archaeopteryx. The bones jump out at the viewer rather than trying to hide
because they're just a shade different than the matrix.

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com  http://www.jhecht.net