RE: The (long) future of paleontology

> Andy is funny, like most grad students (no offense Andy, you just gave me
> the opening). Every grad student always comes to believe that their
> project is THE most important ever (probably a defense for keeping
> focused). A thesis will eventually acquire "thesis-creep" and grows and
> grows in scope. But then when the ultimate deadline of submission of a
> written thesis is hanging overhead, reality sets in, and suddenly the
> thesis topic is smaller than the original proposal. Where did all the time
> go?

We're definitely a product of our institutions. . .I think I'll forever have
an anatomical and functional bias. And enough smack-downs by one's committee
will always make one wary literature! ;-) [of course, I mean this in the
most respectful manner towards my committee--if nothing else, I've learned
to retune my B.S. detector, as applied to my own views and others!]

Rereading my old post, I realized that I may have downplayed the importance
of new discoveries on the outcrop. I certainly didn't intend that!

Andy