Re: The (long) future of paleontology

Some U.S. universities place a time limit on graduate programs.  Other
U.S. universities don't.

So why should a university care how long it takes a student to finish?
IMHO, the university's impetus is a financial one.  If a student has
finished his/her course work, and is writing the thesis and is signing up
for only a couple "thesis/dissertation" credits per quarter, then he/she
is paying the university only a small amount of money.

In contrast, a brand-spanking-new Masters/PhD student is usually taking a
full course load at the university.  Hence the university makes more
money off of the new student.

In order to increase the efficiency of the "get 'em in - push 'em out"
style of graduate education, some U.S. universities have implemented what
is called a "No Thesis Masters degree" option.  It involves only a couple
years of course work, no research, no written thesis, and no resulting
professional publication.

The grad student loses out on what could have been a good education,
while the university gets newer students (along with their full course
load tuition payments) into the department quicker.

I certainly hope that this post didn't reveal my bias on the matter.  ;-)

<pb>
--

--
"Am I crazy, Jerry?  Am I?  Or, I am SO sane that you just blew your
mind?!" - Kramer