RE: The (long) future of paleontology

What Phil wrote is only partially true. I was at a university that made the
transition between a loosely held time limit and a rigid, official one. The
change was because of a growing number of "professional students", meaning that
they got so comfortable being students that the thought of finishing and having
to look for a job (hence "grow-up") was difficult for them. I know of at least
one graduate student at the U. of California Berkeley who had already been a
graduate student for 20 years when I met the person in the late 1970s. The
rigid deadlines became a way of forcing students to finish something they
started and to move on in life.
Ken

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Chief Preparator