RE: The (long) future of paleontology

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 Ken.Carpenter@dmns.org wrote:
What Phil wrote is only partially true. I was at a university that made the transition between a loosely held time limit and a rigid, official one. The change was because of a growing number of "professional students", meaning that they got so comfortable being students that the thought of finishing and having to look for a job (hence "grow-up") was difficult for them. I know of at least one graduate student at the U. of California Berkeley who had already been a graduate student for 20 years when I met the person in the late 1970s. The rigid deadlines became a way of forcing students to finish something they started and to move on in life. Ken

I'm reminded of the Roger Zelazny story about the fellow at college whose
(deceased) father left him access to the inheritance so long as he was in college - so he stopped one credit short of every program at the university...