RE: The (long) future of paleontology

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> David Marjanovic
>
> > Some U.S. universities place a time limit on graduate programs.  Other
> > U.S. universities don't.
>
> Ah, that's not unified even at the state level... I see.

It might even vary from School to School within the same University!!

> > So why should a university care how long it takes a student to finish?
> > IMHO, the university's impetus is a financial one.  If a student has
> > finished his/her course work, and is writing the thesis and is signing up
> > for only a couple "thesis/dissertation" credits per quarter, then he/she
> > is paying the university only a small amount of money.
>
> Yes, in the USA, where _the student_ _directly_ _pays_ _the university_.
> I'll say no more, for fear of starting a deeply political discussion. :-°

Actually, depending on the institution, the graduate student themselves may not
have to pay anything in terms of tuition and
classes, and may even get paid (a teeny tiny amount...). That money doesn't
come out of nowhere, of course, but from foundations and
grants to the University, the Department, or the indvidual researcher. Hence,
as the students are "burning up resources" (salary,
tuition, space, computer & phone & printer use, etc.) simply by being there,
there exists an incentive to make certain they finish
in a timely fashion.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117