Re: The (long) future of paleontology

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:31:11 +0100 (MET) David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> writes:
> > Some U.S. universities place a time limit on graduate programs.
> Other
> > U.S. universities don't.
>
> Ah, that's not unified even at the state level... I see.
>
> > So why should a university care how long it takes a student to
> finish?
> > IMHO, the university's impetus is a financial one.  If a student
> has
> > finished his/her course work, and is writing the thesis and is
> signing up
> > for only a couple "thesis/dissertation" credits per quarter, then
> he/she
> > is paying the university only a small amount of money.

> Yes, in the USA, where _the student_ _directly_ _pays_ _the
> university_.
> I'll say no more, for fear of starting a deeply political
> discussion. :-°

If the PhD applicant is *really* desirable, many major U.S. universities
will offer the applicant a yearly stipend plus free tuition.  Americans
who pay state taxes pay the living expenses of many (but by no means,
all) PhD students.

But yer right, Amigo.  Book learnin' in Europe is a whole nuther ball O'
wax.

<pb>