New sauropod found

 A huge buried fossil of a sauropod, or a large, long-necked herbivorous
dinosaur, has been unearthed in southwest China's Sichuan Province.
After one month of excavation, the fossil was finally uncovered in the
park of the Zigong Dinosaur Museum in Zigong City.

"It must have been a 'big guy' when it lived in the middle Jurassic
period, about 160 million years ago," Li Fei, an archaeologist, said at
the excavation site. "It is over 20 meters long and its longest rib
measures 1.93 meters."

So far, no long cervical vertebra fossils have been found. Instead,
under the sauropod, excavators found shinbone and thighbone fossils.

In addition, there is a 109-millimeter-long tooth fossil in the
sauropod's rib. Six broken teeth fossils were found nearby, which
probably belong to a carnivorous dinosaur, according to Li Fei.

"Based on this discovery, we conclude that this sauropod might have been
killed by a predaceous dinosaur," said Li.
Rest of story:
http://english.people.com.cn/200512/19/eng20051219_229237.html

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Chief Preparator