Re: The (long) future of paleontology

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:50:52 +0100 (MET), David Marjanovic wrote

> (As for feeding the starving... remember that the UN found out just
> a few months ago that there's currently enough food in the world for
> TWELVE billion people -- a number that we _won't_ reach at least
> within this century. What is missing is not food for the starving
> but _money_ for the starving.)

Often it's not even the money - it's getting the food (or the money for the
food) past corrupt officials that's often the problem. Plenty of aid sent to
third-world countries gets there, but 'disappears' mysteriously before
getting to those who need it.

Ironically, palaeontology IS helping to feed the starving in many countries,
in the form of illegal fossil exportation. Lots of Chinese farmers in
Liaoning manage to feed their families on what little proceeds they get for
their finds (although again, the middle-men often make the highest profits).

Of course, palaeontologists are trying to stop the illegal fossil trade that
feeds those poor families... those inhuman monsters! :D

Dann Pigdon