Re: Sauropod ONP

A couple of additional comments:  ;-)

One potential advantage of Kent's reconstructions is
that they
eliminate the need to postulate super-high blood
pressures in sauropods which may be physiologically
difficult to accept (though sauropods such as
Brachiosaurus would still have needed a fairly high
blood pressure because of its large heart-ground
distance.) Kent's reconstuctions still
allow for sauropod niche partioning of the basis of
neck/limb differences, just not the sort that has been
seen in some of the literature.

One aspect of this discussion which has been, I think,
overlooked a bit is that the sauropod neck was
inherited
from much smaller prosauropods, and may have been
functionally exapted from whatever the original
purpose in prosauropods was. Some sauropods
(dicraeosaurs) appear to have secondarily shortened
their
necks. Brachytrachelopan, in particular, looks like a
sauropod trying to be an ornithopod... :-)

In addition, one might be tempted to speculate the
rise of angiosperms in the late Cretaceous had some
effect on sauropod feeding mechanisms.  I'm wondering
if titanosaurs were doing something anatomically which
provided them with a competitive feeding advantage
over other sauropods in an angiosperm-dominated world,
since practically all upper Cretaceous sauropods
appear to have been titanosaurs.

Guy Leahy