Re: The (long) future of paleontology

Dear List,

As I entered the post-college "real world" I briefly developed a[n
inappropriate] sense of guilt about artwork I do that does not seem to
directly help human life or our environment; indeed the resources
consumed by art can be argued to be a waste.  That temporary and
irrational pang of humanitarian guilt never extended to my scientific
illustrations, however.

If one believes that both education and science are beneficial to the
world in any capacity, then paleontology has the best possible
application of any scientific field: it is the avenue through which
many children learn science and go on to become scientists in this and
other fields.  What a wonderful and lasting contribution!  We should
all feel very positive about being a small part of that chain of
learning and inquisitiveness.

Warmly and fuzzily,

Demetrios