Re: Sauropod ONP...and energetics

On 1/24/06, dinoboygraphics@aol.com <dinoboygraphics@aol.com> wrote:

> As for reachinginto forests (different post) ...why not just rear up
> then?  You would be able to exloit a far more effective browsing
> envelope than sticking your neck into dense forest from the periphery,
> where the trees would prevent you from lateral excursion of the neck.

Rearing up extends vertical reach; I was talking about a scenario
where horizontal reach is extended. And in that scenario, the plants
are generally shorter than sauropod shoulder height.

I found it hard to describe exactly what I meant. If I have time (ha!)
I'll try to illustrate it later.

Another thought occurs to me: what does ontogeny tell us about
sauropod neck lengths? Is there a size at which they become
significantly longer or do they show consistent growth throughout
life?
--
Mike Keesey
The Dinosauricon: http://dino.lm.com