Re: Thoracosaurus (crocodiliform [?]) unveiled at Drexel University on Thursday

Jean-Michel Benoit (s.aegyptiacus@wanadoo.fr) wrote:

<how come that "Thoracosaurus neocesariensis", translates to "New Jersey
crocodile" I don't see any clew in the name, apart from Saurus (saurian,
reptile), Neo(new) and Cesar or which I have no idea it comes from (No roman
emperor in NJ...)..>

  In this case, no Roman Caeser is being honored. New Jersey in Latin would be
translated as Neocaesarea (or, more conventionally, Neocesaria). This derives
from the Roman name for the Isle of Jersey, Caesarea, from which the word
"Jersey" derives, along with a Scandinavian -ey ending seen in other Channel
island names which refers to it as an island, but I gather this was added from
the second invading sweep from the continent, from the viking raiders, to
already used Roman names. The word "caesarea" literally refers to the Caesers,
likely as a territory.

  For consideration: Guernsey was known as Sarnia, Herm was Erimus, and
Alderney was known as Ridunia. I'm not aware of names for Sark. The Isle of
Wight was named Vectis. Names of New England territories were often named for
old English regions, or those of Scottland, and the Latin names for the old
territories are usually transcribed or another ancient tongue, preceded by
"neo-". Thus New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, and so forth.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden